Let’s take 5 minutes and check the following:
Check the Car Safety Seat:
- Look for signs of wear on the straps, buckles and adjusters. If it is worn, contact the manufacture.
- Check the buckle makes a clear ‘click’ when engaged. If dull or sticky follow instructions to clean.
- Ensure the harness tightens and loosens without issue.
- Check the child car safety seat harness straps are not twisted.
Check the Install:
- Ensure the front passenger/drivers’ seat does not interfere with the install.
- Ensure the upper tether strap is secured to the correct anchorage point, is firm (not overtight), and free of unnecessary twists and toys.
- If using ISOfix, ensure both points are correctly connected, tensioned and show green.
- If installed with the vehicle seatbelt ensure seatbelt is engaged in the buckle & tensioned.
- Only check for movement at the BASE of the car safety seat (think handshake strength). If your car safety seat moves more than 2cm contact Absolute Baby for advice.
- Secure any loose objects that may become projectiles in a sudden stop or crash.
Check your Child in their Car Safety Seat:
- Ensure the harness is at the correct height for your child. While rear facing harness should be AT or ABOVE child’s shoulders | forward facing harness should be at the closest slot to their shoulder.
- If using a Booster Seat with the seatbelt -The sash must come across your child’s shoulder and must not come into contact with their neck or face, lap portion to be low on hips and firm.
- If there’s an adjustable headrest, check it is at the correct height to support your child’s head.
If in doubt, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions or contact Absolute Baby.